Split payment allows customers the opportunity to split the cost of the booking with one another. Split payment is available for single bookings, multiple bookings in a single transaction, and package bookings.
How it works:
For online checkout:
- Set up split payment or checkout by going to Products > Listings > Global Setting > Checkout Preferences and setting your preferences.
- Once enabled, an option will appear on the Payment Details screen of checkout that allows your customers to “Split Payment”.
- Customers must enter their credit card details in order to proceed with a Split Payment. This information is saved to the booking in Xola, just as if they had paid normally.
- By default, if there is an unpaid balance 1 day before the activity start time the customer who entered their payment information at check out will be automatically charged.
- After confirming their card details, they will be presented with the option to choose how much of the booking they are paying for. Customers can either enter an arbitrary amount or use the help calculate link.
- In the help calculate workflow, customers can calculate a suggested payment amount either by quantity or by even split. This window will save an amount for the customer, but will not charge them yet.
In Back Office:
- If enabled, an option will appear on the Payment Details screen of checkout that allows you to “Split Payment” for bookings made in-person or over the phone.
- Once checked it will allow you the option to collect payment amount now or make the reservation without payment.
- If you proceed with taking the collect payment amount now toggle, you will hit proceed to payment button and will be presented with the option to choose how much of the booking they are paying for. You can either enter an arbitrary amount or use the help calculate link.
- If you proceed with making the reservation with no payment taken, you will enter in credit card details and hit the Reserve button.
- Next, you go into the Purchases Tab at any time and collect the balance via the Collect Balance button, or you can hit + add to group to add more guest to the booking for split pay (more below)
After booking is made (Checkout and Back office):
- In addition to a Confirmation email, the customer will receive a Booking Invitation email. The Booking Invitation Email contains a button that allows anyone to Split Payment and join the booking. Customers are instructed to forward this email to anyone they would like to Split Payment with. (This functions the same way with both per person and per outing pricing).
- When another customer joins the booking, they will be prompted to fill out questionnaires and sign waivers (if enabled). They will also receive confirmation, reminder and review emails.
- Split Payment will also create a new customer record for each customer that pays (you can find these in the Customers Tab).
- Additional booked groups will appear on the Purchases tab, underneath the Organizer (the customer that made the original booking).
- You can also add guests to the Group by going the Purchases Tab and hitting the +Add to group button. This allows you to take customer's information, credit card details, and help them pay for their part of the booking.
- In addition by click on the 3 dots by the guests name you can: message the individual guest, rebook the individual guest, send that guest's invitation email, resend the confirmation email and remove a guest from the booking (you cannot remove the Organizer from a booking, only the guests)
Removing a guest:
- If a guest calls you and needs to be removed from a split pay booking, you can remove them from the booking and return the payment by click on the 3 dots next to the guest name and click Remove from Booking
- This will ask you to return the payment
- Once you click Remove, this person will still appear on the booking details page, but now under Removed
- After Removed from a booking, by click the 3 dots by the guest you can message the guest, rebook the guest, and even add the guest back to the booking, if needed.
How to enable:
- You will first enable through the App Store by navigating to App Store > Split Payment > Click "Install" > Agree to the terms of service.
Note: If you need help in getting access to this feature, you can reach out to email@example.com.
- Navigate to Products > Listings > Global Settings > Checkout Preferences. Here, you’ll find the option to enable Split Payment.
- Decide when payment is due:
- This setting will allow other groups to split payment and add themselves to the booking up until your desired cutoff time. If you’d like to allow split payment all the way until your event’s start time, put “0” in as your value.
- You have the option to automatically charge the organizer’s credit card for any outstanding balance at the cutoff time. If you choose not to enable this option, the booking will have a balance due for any amount that has not been paid. If there is a balance on the booking, an email will be sent to the organizer twenty-four hours before the event letting them know the remaining amount due.
When you choose to have a payment deadline and charge the credit card on file the customer gets the following reminder email:
NOTE: Bookings that are made with the Split Pay feature cannot be switched to a new experience. The booking itself would need to be canceled and the customer rebooked.