The Address Verification Service (AVS) is a standard credit card verification feature supported by Authorize.Net that compares the billing address provided by a traveler for a credit card transaction with the billing address on file for the cardholder at the credit card issuing bank. This feature is enabled by default on all accounts.
Xola recommends that you disable the Address Verification Service within your Authorize.Net account.
Why Disable AVS?
There are four key reasons to disable the AVS filter:
- To streamline your booking process.
Xola does not collect billing information (street, city, state, zip code) for every credit card booking so that you can process these more quickly. Because this information is omitted, if AVS is enabled your credit card processor may reject bookings and you may see a high rate of card declines. This is likely to happen if your Xola booking workflow requires you to collect credit card details upon booking creation and charge the card at a later date.
- To process via Card Present transactions with a swiper.
If you use a USB or mobile swipe device, Xola will send the data on the magnetic strip of the credit card to Authorize.net. These transactions will count as a "Card Present" transaction. To view benefits of card present transactions you should read this article from Authorize.net.
- Accept international cards and cards from banks that don't support AVS.
Authorize.Net's default AVS settings also prevents you from accepting cards issued by banks from outside of the US and those banks that do not support AVS. Disabling the filter will allow you to accept these international credit cards too.
- Accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover Gift cards.
Gift cards issued by these companies often don't have an address associated with them (especially if the user hasn't registered their gift cards first). So if your customer uses one of these gift cards they will get blocked by the AVS service. Turning off AVS will allow you to accept gift cards as well.
How to Disable AVS
- Click Settings under Account in the main menu on the left.
- Click Address Verification Service under Security Settings.
- Under "General AVS Responses" uncheck all checkboxes under "Reject".
- Under "Address and ZIP Code Responses" uncheck all checkboxes under "Reject".
Authorize.net Fraud Detection Suite
If you have the Authorize.net Fraud Detection Suite, then you will have the Enhanced Address Verification Service (AVS) Handling Filter. If so you should follow these steps:
- Under "General AVS Responses" click the radio boxes under "Allow" for all options.
- Under "Address and ZIP Code Responses" click the radio boxes under "Allow" for all options.
- At the top of the page if you have a "Enable filter" checkbox, uncheck it.
All radio boxes under Allow should be checked and none under decline should be checked and your account should look exactly as it is below.