When you click the Refund in a customer purchase, Xola will ask you to select from one of the following options:
- Reduce booking value and return payment
- Return payment only
- Change guest quantity
This article details the difference between these three methods of returning payment to a customer, and in which situation you would choose one over the others.
Reduce booking value and return payment
What this does: Reduces the customer's total booking value and sends full or partial payment back to the customer.
When to use: When you need to offer a customer a discount or full refund on their balance or payment. This might be due to something like bad weather conditions or placating an unhappy customer.
For example: Ava charges two tickets for $63 to her credit card for the Bob Dylan tour with Popspots.
At the very last minute the guide calls in sick, and Ava and her husband are already on-site ready for their tour. For this terrible inconvenience, Popspots wants to issue Ava a full refund. In this case Popspots needs to send $63 back to Ava's credit card.
Popspots would the the following actions:
- Navigate to Ava's purchase and click the Refund button.
- Select Reduce booking value and return payment.
- Ensure 63 is populated in the Amount field. If this is a partial refund, type in the amount to be refunded into the box.
- Select Ava's credit card as the Method.
- Add a reason for the refund in the Comment field.
- Click Refund.
Please note that when issuing credit card refunds, you may not refund a customer more than the amount originally charged on their credit card.
Return Payment Only
What this does: Returns payment to one customer in order to collect that money either in a new form of payment or from another paying customer. Using the Return Payment feature will always open a balance on the purchase for the amount returned.
When to use: To split payment when one customer has for several guests, and those guests would like to pay their share. To allow a customer to switch from a cash payment to putting the balance on a credit card.
For example: Zara charges two tickets for $42 to her credit card for the Sex & The City tour with Popspots. When she and her friend, Ariel, arrive for the tour, Ariel explains that she would like to put the charge for the tour on her card instead. In this case Popspots needs to send $21 back to Zara in order to then collect the $21 from Ariel instead.
Since Zara originally paid for both tickets, Popspots would click Return Payment and type in $21 (the price of Ariel's individual ticket). This will send $21 back to Zara's card and open up a $21 balance on the purchase.
Popspots would then do the following:
- Navigate to Zara's purchase and click the Refund button.
- Select Return payment only.
- Type 21 into the Amount field.
- Select Zara's credit card as the Method.
- Add a reason for the return of payment in the Comment field.
- Click Return Payment.
- In the Purchase, click Collect Balance.
- In the popup window, select Add a new card and enter in Ariel's credit card details. Popspots could also accept any other form of payment.
- Click Collect.
Please note that when returning payment to a credit card, you may not return a customer more than the amount originally charged on their credit card.
Reduce Guest Quantity
What this does: Reduces guest count and gives sellers the option to refund the full or partial price of the ticket.
When to use: It's important to reduce guest quantity and not issue a refund when a guest cancels or does not show up as part of a group. This will maintain your proper guest records and allow you the option of refunding in full, in partial, or not at all.
For example: West High School buys 15 tickets at $20 each to the Times Square tour for a field trip. A few days before the tour one student realizes he won't be able to make it - With Popspot's cancellation policy the school is eligible for a 50% partial refund (including taxes and fees). As such, Popspots need to reduce guest count to 14 and refund West High ten dollars.
Popspots would do the following:
- Navigate to West High School's purchase and click the Refund button.
- Select Reduce guest count.
- Use the minus button to bring guest count down to 14.
- Click the Refund menu, select Partial, and enter in 10 as the amount to be refunded.
- Click Save Changes.
- Select West High's credit card as the Method.
- Check that Reduce Guest Quantity appears in the Comment field.
- Click Return Payment.